Acute medicine is delivered through a combination of three co-located units:
- 18-bedded acute assessment unit (AAU), which is a 12-hour unit for the initial assessment and management of patients
- 39-bedded short stay ward (AMU) for on going case for short stay patients
- ambulatory emergency case unit (AECU) – a new service for the assessment and management of acute patients
What we offer
- the AMU and acute medical on-call teams are led by a consultant, present on the unit from 8am-8.30pm daily
- a consultant will see all patients admitted to the AAU/AMU each day,along with all new admissions during twice daily ward rounds
- patients over 75 are cared for by a dedicated acute care of the elderlyteam and consultant
- the AAU concentrates on the first 12 hours after admission. It may either discharge patients, or direct them to the short stay AMU or to a specialty ward
- the AMU concentrates on the next 48 hours of inpatient stay – patients who require a long stay in hospital move to a specialty medical bed.
In addition to the AMU we we have two units for patients who are unlikely to need admission to hospital, but who s till need same day assessment of acute conditions:
- the ambulatory emergency care unit (AECU) is for patients who are mainly of working age. The service opened in a new dedicated area in 2015 next to AAU.
- we also have a medical day hospital, mainly for frail, elderly patients which opened in its current new location in 2015
Dr Maurice Cohen - clinical director for acute and general medicine physician for the elderly
Dr Muhammad Esakji - consultant in acute medicine
Dr Anukkul Garg - consultant in acute medicine and endocrinology
Dr Ben Glickstein - consultant in acute medicine and care of the elderly
Dr Bhagyashree Jayaraman - consultant in acute and respiratory medicine
Dr Zaheer Mangera - consultant in acute medicine
Dr Roger Rear - consultant in acute medicine and cardiology
Dr Salman Sajid - consultant in acute medicine and renal medicine
Dr David Stanton - specialty lead for acute medicine
Dr Christopher Valerio - consultant in acute medicine
Dr Helen Ward - consultant in acute medicine.
AAU, AMU and AECU, main building, level 1.
Medical day hospital, Pymmes building, level -1.
How to refer
Through a GP or doctor.
AMU general enquiries 020 8887 2213 / 2553
AECU general enquiries 020 8887 3709 / 07436 032161
Contact us to cancel or change an appointment
or alternatively ring 020 8887 3663 / 3664 (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm)
Page last updated: January 2018