The department looks after any medical patient over 75 years of age in the acute medical unit, critical care unit and the Pymmes unit where there are three care of the elderly wards.
What we offer
There is a dedicated team of care of the elderly consultants providing full cover for the elderly on the acute medical unit and who also assess patients in A&E.
Each patient is supported by a multi-disciplinary team to aid their recovery and there are weekly surgical liaison rounds.
We provide the following services:
- specialist clinics for falls and Parkinson’s disease
- regular general geriatric outpatient clinics for new and follow-up patients
- daily medical day hospital sessions providing comprehensive geriatric assessment and treatment
- the day hospital has expanded to provide an older people’s assessmentunit (OPAU) with rapid, multi-disciplinary assessments for elderly patients who require medical and social support but who would not necessarily need to be admitted to hospital
- regular teleconferences with primary care, social services and psychogeriatrics to ensure seamless care for older patients.
- consultant geriatrician hotline 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.
Dr Maneesh Bhargava - consultant stroke physician
Dr Maurice Cohen – clinical director for acute and general medicine, consultant geriatrician with specialist interests in falls and syncope
Dr Michael Aziz – consultant geriatrician
Dr Sophie Edwards – consultant geriatrician with special interest in dementia
Dr Robert Luder – consultant stroke physician
Dr Jonathan Myers – consultant geriatrician
Dr Polia Nydenova - consultant geriatrician
Dr Sumathi Ragavan - consultant geriatrician and ortho-geriatrician
Dr Richard Robson – consultant physician
Dr Nick Rollitt – consultant geriatrician and orthogeriatrician
Dr Wit Woothipoom – consultant geriatrician specialist interest in movement disorders
Care of the elderly wards are in the Pymmes building, level -1 and level 0. The day hospital/ is located in Pymmes, level -1.
How to refer
Referrals can be made online through Choose and Book, (apart from specialist clinics and the day hospital). or GP or doctor.
Secretary 020 8887 2474 / 3311
Day hospital/OPAU reception desk 020 8887 3583
To cancel or change an appointment
or alternatively ring our call centre 020 8887 3663 /3664 (Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm)
Page last updated March 2016