We provide a comprehensive range of therapies for inpatients and outpatients, including nutrition and dietetics, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, podiatry,speech and language therapy. We adhere to the standards set by our national or local commissioners.
We are improving access to therapies for older people through our new older peoples’ assessment unit (OPAU).
What we offer
We have over 90 specialists in our team:
• assess, advise and monitor patients with underlying medical conditions requiring specific dietary intervention
• work with patients to promote nutritional wellbeing, prevent food-related problems and treat disease
• provide specialist services for outpatients, including cardiac rehabilitation, diabetes, oncology, paediatrics and adult dietary problems
Our occupational therapists
• assess and treat adult inpatients whose functional and cognitive abilities have been affected by acute illness
• support discharge by providing equipment essential for daily living
• provide access and home visits to help patient safety
• work closely with A&E to coordinate and access rapid
• assess and treat patients while in hospital in ITU, cardiac rehabilitation, older people’s acute care, orthopaedics, amputee rehabilitation, cancer services and
• provide a musculoskeletal outpatient service for patients with acute or urgent need who have been referred by A&E, fracture clinic and orthopaedic clinics
Speech and language therapists
• diagnose and treat both adult and paediatric inpatients with swallowing problems (dysphagia), and acquired communication impairments, including patients
with neurological, gastroenterological, respiratory and other non-neurological factors.
• treat head and neck outpatients during the time they attend the radiotherapy unit
• treat provide a very specialist outpatient service for differential diagnosis of dysphagia. Respiratory and gastroenterology North Mid consultant referral only.
Brian Somerville – head of therapies and rehabilitation
Katja Chessis – clinical and professional lead for occupational therapy
Mandakini Patel – clinical lead for nutrition and dietetic services
Candida Ellis – clinical lead for speech and language therapy
The therapies department is in the podium, level 1. The speech and language therapy team is located close to the main X-ray department, main building, level 1.
How to refer
Referral through GP or doctor
Musculoskeletal outpatient physiotherapy 020 8887 2412
Nutrition and dietetics 020 8887 2682
Occupational therapy 020 8887 2202
Physiotherapy inpatients 020 8887 2202
Speech and language therapy 020 8887 2979
To cancel or change an appointment
or alternatively ring our call centre 020 8887 3663 /3664 (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm)
Page last updated April 2016