Clinical Health Psychologists
Our Clinical Psychologists specialise in the area of physical health. The team is comprised of Dr Su Yin Yap, Lead for Clinical Health Psychology at North Middlesex Hospital, Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Psycho-sexologist (ECPS), Dr Heather Munro, Clinical Psychologist and Dr Ruth Marks, Clinical Psychologist. Our services are based in North Middlesex University Hospital and provided by Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust.
The team cover the following specialities
- Oncology - Drs Su Yin Yap & Heather Munro
- Haematology - Dr Ruth Marks
- Cardiology - Dr Ruth Marks
- HIV - Dr Su Yin Yap
Leaflets to download:
You can find out more about psychology in each speciality by clicking on the links above to the service leaflets.
What we offer
Many people with the above conditions experience difficulties – for example, in relation to adjusting to their diagnosis, living with symptoms and with the impact on their social role and functioning, or managing side effects. Our team provide a range of psychological therapies which focus on helping people manage their physical health condition and its impact on their quality of life.
Typical interventions include:
- helping patients come to terms with or adjust to their health condition and treatment
- helping patients make decisions about treatment
- helping patients to cope with the impact of their physical health condition on their work life, relationships, and overall well-being
- assisting patients to make lifestyle changes that maintain and improve health
- Clinical health psychologists are experts in psychological assessment and in developing interventions based on the inter-relationship between behaviours, emotions, thoughts, social relationships and biological aspects of health and illness.
How we can support teams
Our Clinical Psychologists support health care teams in their roles. They run clinical groups for staff, and offer teaching and training to doctors, nurses and allied health professionals.
How to access the service
Our Clinical Health Psychologists are embedded within the medical teams listed above. Referrals are accepted from North Middlesex University Hospital’s healthcare professionals from the relevant specialities.
For further enquiries, please contact the Lead for Clinical Health Psychology, Dr Su Yin Yap, firstname.lastname@example.org
For patients: what to expect when you are referred to Clinical Health Psychology service
You will be offered an assessment session or sessions in the first instance, to work out what is most helpful for you. Following assessment, we may suggest other services that may suit your needs better, or we may offer you a block of further psychology sessions here.
If you decide that you do not wish to see a Clinical Psychologist that is your choice, and your care will not be adversely affected.
Dr Su Yin Yap - Lead for Clinical Health Psychology Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Psycho-sexologist (ECPS)
Dr Heather Munro, Clinical Psychologist
Dr Ruth Marks, Clinical Psychologist.
Our services are based in North Middlesex University Hospital, embedded within health specialities
How to refer
Referrals are accepted from North Middlesex University Hospital's healthcare professionals from the relevant specialities.
Please contact the lead for Clinical Health psychology, Dr Su Yin Yap: email@example.com
Page last updated by July 2019