Learning and development at North Mid
Here at North Mid we are committed to supporting and developing our staff at every stage of their career. We are proud to offer a wide range of training and development opportunities from some of the best providers in London including: NHS England and NHS I, Outstanding Leaders Partnership, the NHS leadership Academy and many more.
Whatever your band level and whether you are clinical or non-clinical, there will be a course or programme to suit you at every stage of your career.
We offer one of the best NHS apprenticeship programmes in London. Our apprenticeships have enabled many young local people and internal colleagues to receive training and develop their career. Programmes are available from entry level to Masters levels.
- A nationally recognised qualification, awarded at the end of the apprenticeship
- Bespoke training, relevant to the individual’s role
- A mix of on and off the job learning and tailored preparation for future employment or career progression at North Mid
Investing in our leaders
We offer exciting and rewarding development programmes for leaders. Our preceptorship programme was nominated for the Nursing Times’ Preceptorship of the Year award 2018/19.
We have invested in several leadership programmes which have been developed to equip leaders with the skills they need to become an Outstanding Leader at North Mid. Our leadership programmes include:
- Managing People - First Steps: aims to provide the fundamentals of managing people, leading and motivating a team effectively, setting performance expectations and much more
- Outstanding Leaders Programme: designed to provide the skills to fulfil your role as a leader at North Mid, including psychometric tool and 360 and work based learning
- Clinical leadership Programme (Nurses, Midwifery and AHPs): As part of the ‘Outstanding Leaders, Outstanding Care’ (OLOC) initiative – designed to meet the needs of those in a leadership role to support the transition from individual performer to team/service leader
Wellbeing courses and training
It is important to keep all staff protected from chronic stress and poor mental health during this time. We offer various wellbeing training courses for managers and leaders.
- Mental health awareness training: This helps individuals maintain their own health and wellbeing, and help ensure that they will have a better capacity to fulfil their roles and provide better care to our patients
- REACT – Conversation training: This short course gives managers, supervisors and those with caring responsibilities the confidence to hold supportive and compassionate mental health and wellbeing conversations, during and beyond COVID-19
- PFA psychological first aid: This training can benefit leads/managers and workers to have the skills to provide the necessary wellbeing support to colleagues
We continue to listen to our colleagues around their training needs and will continue to devise and introduce programmes and apprenticeships geared towards their career development at North Mid and beyond.