North Mid’s endometriosis centre named as one of 63 specialist centres in the UK
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust’s Endometriosis Centre has been named as one of 63 specialist endometriosis centres in the United Kingdom.
The news comes after the centre received its official certificate of accreditation for 2023/2024.
This means that women who live with severe, and all other stages of endometriosis, can receive the specialist care, including advanced laparoscopic surgery for complex cases, that they need at the centre.
After becoming an accredited centre for the first time in 2014, the centre has successfully maintained its official status ever since through the annual accreditation process.
To become an accredited endometriosis centre, the centre needs to meet several requirements including:
- Having a dedicated consultant lead endometriosis service run within a specialist outpatient clinic
- Complete a minimum of 12 cases of rectovaginal endometriosis (RE) every year
- Have a supporting surgeon and other supporting clinicians
- Publish every complex case together with a video of a complex surgery to The British Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy – the society that governs the centres
- Have an endometriosis specialist nurse.
The Trust is also proud to announce that as of 2023, ultra-radical surgery for endometriosis which may involve bowel and bladder endometriosis surgery is being performed, in line with supra-tertiary centres such as UCLH.
Parveen Verasingam, endometriosis lead at North Mid, said: “It is an honour to continue the strong tradition of endometriosis treatment at North Mid.
“We have made great progress in reducing our waiting time for surgery and providing a holistic approach to treat endometriosis, all stemming from looking after the wellbeing of our patients.
“The Trust’s investment in providing all aspects of complex laparoscopic procedures such as laparoscopic myomectomies highlights our commitment to providing outstanding care for local people. We aim to be the centre for laparoscopic myomectomy in the coming years and at the same time the best-performing endometriosis centre in the country.