About our gastroenterology and hepatology service
Our gastroenterology team provide a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services covering elective and emergency work in luminal gastroenterology and hepatology from our gastroenterology inpatient ward (T6) and our state-of-the-art endoscopy suite.
We carry out diagnostic and advanced therapeutic endoscopic procedures from our purpose-built three-room endoscopy suite seven days per week. We perform over 10,000 endoscopic procedures per year including: Upper GI endoscopy, Flexible Sigmoidoscopy and Colonoscopy, PEG insertion, Upper and Lower GI stent insertion and Therapeutic ERCP. We also run a 24 hour-a-day, 7-day per week service for acute upper GI haemorrhage.
Our senior staff include six substantive gastroenterologists, two nurse endoscopists, two viral hepatitis nurse specialists and two inflammatory bowel disease nurse specialists.
Alongside our inpatient and endoscopic work, we run a broad outpatient service with general gastroenterology and hepatology clinics as well as specialist clinics for inflammatory bowel disease and viral hepatitis.
Conditions we treat
Examples of the conditions we treat are:
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal liver function tests
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Anaemia - Iron/B12/Folate deficiency-related
- Enlarged liver
- Fatty liver
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Irritable bowel Syndrome
- Rectal bleeding
- Weight loss with GI symptoms
How to prepare for your visit
Once the referral from your GP is received by the hospital it will be reviewed by senior gastroenterology consultant. The consultant will use the information provided to direct your care in the most efficient way possible.
- Write back to your GP with a recommendation for a course of treatment.
- Arrange an endoscopic procedure, blood test or scan at the hospital.
- Arrange an outpatient appointment for you.
Meet our team
Clinical Director: Dr. Paul Maxwell
Service Manager: Mrs Jacky Ellis
Matron: Sucad Yousuf
- Dr. Rupam Bhattacharyya
- Dr Dilshad Chowdhury
- Dr Thendral Mangala
- Dr Debasis Majumdar
- Dr Paul Maxwell
- Dr Andrew Millar
- Dr Janine Wright
- Mr Stephen Villaflor: Upper GI Endoscopy and PEG
- Mrs Marietta Elevare: Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
Clinical nurse specialists
- Mrs Caroline Philippou: IBD
- Miss Reena Poliah: IBD
- Mrs Katie Portou: Hepatology
- Mrs Laila Indiongco : Hepatology
Deputy service managers
- Miss Joanne Shine: Endoscopy
- Mrs Beverley Young: Gastroenterology Outpatients