About our mental health liaison service
The North Middlesex Mental Health Liaison Service (under Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust) is a multi disciplinary and integrated mental health team.
We are a team of experienced specialist mental health professionals who provide prompt, high quality psychiatric assessments both in an emergency setting such as the A&E department and in-patient wards within North Middlesex University Hospital. Dependent on the outcome of the assessment you will be directed to appropriate services best suited to meet your needs. We also offer advice and information to people with mental health problems, receiving medical treatment in A&E or other wards. In addition, the service provides support and education to the staff of North Mid.
We are the link between the general hospital and mental health services.
Conditions we treat
You must be in the A&E department or admitted to an adult ward at North Mid, and be 16 years or older. You must have a (possible) mental health component to your presentation.
Note: There are no other exclusion criteria as the principle of the service is to work with patients and clinical teams wherever mental health expertise would be of benefit. The decision to assess a patient is a matter of clinical judgment exercised by the Mental Health Liaison Team.
Typical presentations include:
- Primary mental health problems, presenting acutely (including self-harm, suicidality and psychosis)
- Co-morbid mental health problems (including dementia, substance misuse, and depression) that may be impacting on their physical health problem.
- Medically unexplained symptoms
- Perinatal mental illness
Our input is not limited to these patient groups – we are open to all appropriate referrals.
Meet our team
- Team Manager - Derek Knight
- Old Age and General Adult Consultant Psychiatrists (x4) .-Dr Justin Shute is the Liaison Lead Consultant Psychiatrist
- Mental health nurses (4 x Band 7 and 5 x Band 6)
- Associate Mental Health Worker ( x2)
- Team Administrators (x2)
- Peer Support Workers , staff with lived experience (x 5)
Where to find us
We're located on the 2nd floor of the Podium East building.
How did we do?
Please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) to tell us about your experience of our services.
You can do this by calling 0208 887 3172 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your views will help us to improve our services so get in touch now!