About our children's physiotherapy service
We work with children, young people and their families to promote their physical independence, mobility and function, to help achieve their maximum potential.
The physiotherapy service works with children, young people with a wide range of physical or mobility difficulties, resulting from neurological impairment, developmental delay, genetic disorders and musculoskeletal issues.
Paediatric physiotherapists use a variety of different approaches to work along side children and their families, to help promote their overall development and physical wellbeing and participation in life. Our aim is to help children, young people and their families develop the skills and knowledge to enable them to become as independent as possible with their mobility and in managing their difficulties throughout childhood and onwards into adulthood.
Key services include:
- assessment, advice and planning for children with musculoskeletal concerns;
- assessment, care planning and equipment advice for children with a physical impairment, including working jointly with the wider multi-disciplinary team;
- training for parents, guardians, carers and other professionals to help them support their children with physical management plans and exercise programmes at home, school or other settings;
- referrals into the orthotics service when appropriate;
- referrals to other community and hospital based services when appropriate;
- intervention can be offered individually or in groups. Children and young people may be seen via video consultation, in clinic and community settings, including children’s homes.
Who the service is for?
Our neurodevelopmental service is for children and young people aged 0-19 years old, with ongoing functional or mobility needs related to long term conditions.
Our musculoskeletal service is for children and young people aged 0-17 years old with musculoskeletal concerns. For some 16 and 17 year olds, it may be more appropriate for them to be seen by the adult physiotherapy service and their referral may be forwarded to this team.