About children and young people's occupational therapy in Enfield

Occupational therapists (OTs) help children and young people take part in the daily activities that are important to them – at home, at school and elsewhere. Some children and young people have difficulty doing the things they want or have to do because they have physical, learning or mental health needs. Others struggle due to illness or family circumstances, or because of changes that happen as they grow and develop. Whatever the reason, we help children and young people take part in the activities and routines – the occupations – that give purpose and meaning to their lives. Occupational therapists help children and young people improve their ability to participate in everyday activities (“occupations”). These occupations may include self-care tasks (for example getting dressed, eating), play and leisure activities (such as riding a bicycle, playing with Lego) and participating in school life (for example using a pencil and scissors).

Occupational therapists work closely with the child, young person, parents and teachers with the aim of helping the child to participate as fully as possible in their chosen occupations.

We offer assessment, advice and therapy to children who have a wide range of additional needs.

Who is the service for?

Disabled children or those with additional needs can be referred to Children‘s Occupational Therapy if they are having difficulties performing their daily occupations. These can be difficulties with:

  • completing self-care tasks (such as bathing, brushing teeth);
  • participating in daily school life (such as participating in PE lessons, organising their school equipment and work);
  • engaging in leisure and play activities (such as swinging on a swing, drawing & colouring).

Children must live within the borough of Enfield or be registered with an Enfield GP. They must be aged between 0-18 years.

Unfortunately we are not commissioned to see children who attend an Enfield school but do not live in the borough nor have an Enfield GP. These children need to be referred to their home borough’s NHS Occupational Therapy service. If your child attends an Enfield Special School please access your school's OT service through the school.

Referrals for home equipment or housing adaptations need to go to Enfield Local Authority Social Services Children's Occupational Therapy Team. Please check the Enfield council website for information on their service. 

Refer a patient

Referrals to children’s Occupational Therapy are accepted from:

  • registered health professionals (paediatricians, GPs, health visitors, school nurses, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists)
  • school SENCOs (Special Educational Needs Coordinators)

Referrers should fill out the Occupational Therapy referral form. Please call the OT admin on 020 8702 5630 or email beh-tr.cssadminhub@nhs.net to request a referral form.

Following receipt of the referral an acknowledgment letter is sent to the referrer and parents (if you do not get a letter after four weeks, please call the department to confirm the referral was received).